Commitment to Low Student Debt
Financing of a seminary education is understood to be a shared responsibility of the individual student (and spouse, where applicable) and Seminary of the Southwest. In administering financial aid, we seek to practice good stewardship of our resources and we encourage students to do the same. As a matter of institutional policy, the Seminary discourages students from incurring debt in order to attend. Financial assistance is available to students that demonstrate financial need and is awarded on a year-to-year basis.
It is our goal to help you navigate the process of financing your seminary education with the following options:
1) Need-based financial aid
2) Outside scholarships for theological studies
3) Diocesan and Parish forms
4) Federal Student Aid through the U.S. Department of Education
1) Need-based financial aid
Seminary of the Southwest provides scholarship grants to students with demonstrated financial need. To qualify for consideration for a scholarship grant, an applicant must complete the Institutional Financial Aid Evaluation form and the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A work study position will be assigned to MDiv, MAR, and DAS students who qualify for a tuition grant.
Master of Divinity (MDiv)
~ Up to 100% tuition grant is available to eligible students following approved degree plans.
Diploma in Anglican Studies (DAS)
Master of Arts in Religion (MAR)
~ Up to 100% tuition grant is available to eligible full-time students (12 hours or more).
~ Need based tuition grants are available to eligible part-time students (11 hours or less).
Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MHC)
Master of Arts in Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care (MCPC)
Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation (MSF)
~ Need based tuition grants are available to students who are eligible regardless of the number of hours taken
- New Student Financial Aid Application – Due no later than June 1
- Returning Student Financial Aid Application – Due no later than May 6
- Budget Worksheet – Please use as a tool to complete your application
Completed new student applications may be emailed to your assigned Enrollment Manager.
MDiv, MAR, DAS Programs: Beth Jordan ~ email@example.com ~ 512-439-0357
MHC, MCPC, MSF Programs: Britt James-Vito ~ firstname.lastname@example.org ~ 512-439-0374
Completed returning student applications may be emailed to email@example.com.
2) Outside scholarships for theological studies or lay ministry
Seminary of the Southwest provides a detailed list of scholarships that are accepted at a number of institutions in February of each year. Dedicated to financial wellness, Southwest stands to serve as a resource in funding your graduate studies. The links below provide the criteria, award amounts, applications and deadlines for over fifty available outside scholarships. These are in addition to our institutional tuition grants.
- Detailed list of outside scholarships: 2017-18 Outside Scholarship Information
3) Diocesan and Parish Forms
Seminary of the Southwest offers forms for your diocese and parish to report their financial support for your education. They may be helpful in starting a conversation with your faith community. These forms are required for MDiv and DAS students, and are optional for MHC, MCPC, MSF, and SPEC students. A customized letter from the Director of Enrollment Management is available upon request.
4) Federal Aid through the U.S. Department of Education
To be considered for a Federal Stafford Direct Loan complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Typically, federal student aid is used in cases when grants, scholarships, and outside aid do not completely cover a student’s living expenses.
- Federal Student Aid eligibility is determined on a year-to-year basis with annual reapplication and review.
- Students are encouraged to use the IRS Tax Retrieval process when completing their FAFSA.
- Students will also need to complete the Entrance Counseling and Mastery Promissory Note before loans are funded.
- The federal school code for Seminary of the Southwest is: G03566
Tuition & Fees
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Rights & Responsibilities