Mission, Vision and Core Values
Rooted in the reconciling ministry of Christ, the mission of Seminary of the Southwest is to form people for vocations of ministry, service, and healing.
The insight and creativity with which Seminary of the Southwest engages the Christian tradition with the reality of the contemporary world makes it a leader among institutions of higher learning, both within and beyond The Episcopal Church. Sustained by innovative teaching and research, Southwest forms servant leaders who minister in a diverse culture with confidence and humility. The seminary has the financial and spiritual capacity to discern and develop new programs to advance God’s mission of healing and reconciliation.
Our core values describe what we stand for and believe in.
- Hospitality: creating a common life that welcomes difference and ensures that all voices are heard
- Conversation: listening to and critically engaging a variety of cultural and religious voices in order to commend the Christian tradition and discover fresh wisdom
- Mutuality: nurturing a collaborative environment that promotes mutual inquiry and accountability
- Respect: cultivating the virtues of patience, justice, and charity, so as to affirm the dignity of every member of the community
- Rootedness: embodying the richness of the Episcopal and Anglican traditions in particular contexts, especially that of the American Southwest and its Hispanic cultures
- Celebration: glorifying and enjoying God in worship, prayer, study, service, and fellowship, so as to create a community of gratitude and gift
The primary commitment of Seminary of the Southwest is to our students’ growth in the knowledge and love of God as witnessed to in holy scripture, the creeds, and in the universal and ecumenical traditions of the church through the ages. Our purpose is to foster Christian ministers who are faithful, imaginative, and skilled.