Donate

Sermons & Lectures

Sermons

On the feast of St. Michael and All Angels

Monday, September 30

Feast of St. Michael and All Angels

Zechariah 8:1-8 Reading for the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary

Christ Chapel, Seminary of the Southwest

September 30, 2013: Tomorrow the healthcare marketplace will open, and you can register and choose a plan to insure that your costs will be paid if you get really sick. The system will work if enough healthy people sign up, and their premiums will cover the cost of the people who aren’t healthy and who will have a ton of expenses. 

Read More

For the Installation of Cynthia Briggs Kittredge

What a wonderful occasion this is, as Cynthia Kittredge is installed as the 8th Dean and President of the Seminary of the Southwest!   It is a great privilege and joy for me to be here to celebrate with Cynthia, with her family and friends, and with all of you in this seminary community that Cynthia loves so deeply.

Read More

Sermon from September 16, 2013

The lectionary imposes the practice and discipline of reading, studying, and usually, preaching on the appointed texts for the day.

Today this is more of a discipline than a practice for me, because our daily eucharistic lectionary has dealt the 1st letter of Paul to Timothy.

1 Timothy is not a favorite of mainstream historical biblical scholars, with their Protestant preference for the undisputed Pauline letters, the Paul of freedom and transformation. “For freedom Christ has set us free.” 

Read More

Election Day Sermon

Luke 14:25-33

Eight years ago almost to the day, when I was a new interim theology professor at SSW, I stood in this pulpit and preached my very first sermon in Christ Chapel.  It was 2 days after we sent George W Bush back to the White House for 4 more years, and 3 or 4 days after the Lambeth Commission released the Windsor Report, giving a theological and ecclesiastical response to the controversies in the Episcopal Church surrounding human sexuality. 

Read More

Theological Degrees

Learn more about a Master of Divinity, a Diploma of Anglican Studies, or other programs that lead to ordination.

Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Learn about a CACREP accredited Master of Mental Health Counseling Degree.

Ways to Support

Learn about opportunities to support  Southwest through Annual Fund, Scholarships, and more.

Looking for Something?

Apply Now (MHC and MSF)

Apply Now (MDiv, MAR, and DAS)