Christ Church Cathedral, Indianapolis, is seeking a Candidate for the Priesthood who is in divinity school or seminary to join our staff to help us carry out our mission to “widen the circle of God’s embrace, with heart and voice.”
Our current strategic vision is sunsetting after four years. We are beginning a new process this year to listen for God’s call to us as we renew our mission to widen the the circle of God’s embrace with heart and voice.
Our recent strategic vision had three main goals:
- Evangelism within our growing downtown : Establish relationships with and build connections among the large groups of young adults moving into the downtown Indianapolis, Lockerbie, Cole-Noble, Fountain Square, and Fletcher Place neighborhoods.
- Evangelism with the Latino Community : Develop and implement a strategic plan to attract, welcome, integrate, and empower the growing Latino population of Indianapolis metro area, using our congregation’s diversity, inclusivity, and location as our primary drivers.
- Outreach :Develop collaborative hands-on ministries of compassion with our neighbors focused on directly alleviating hunger among the homeless and working poor, in our downtown neighborhood.
We are seeking an Episcopal Candidate for the Priesthood, currently in Divinity School or Seminary, who will, with her or his clergy colleagues and with the support of our Vestry, pursuing our vision for ministry. The first year of ministry in this position will be focused on growth into the vocation of the priesthood, all the while sharing pastoral care and worship responsibilities with the Dean and Canons. Given the experience and gifts of the Curate/Assistant, particular duties will be assigned supporting they lay persons who lead our ministries. After an initial period of priestly formation, new responsibilities and areas of oversight will be discerned mutually.
We hope to call a candidate who:
- has an active life of prayer and will join Dean and Canons in keeping our ruleof prayer at the Cathedral
- has a passion for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and seeks to minister amongpeople inside and outside traditional church settings,
- finds joy in growing the capacity of the baptized to lead and to engage inministry
- has a heart for and commitment to social justice
- has a comfort with working in and learning from diverse cultures
- has experience in networking, evangelism, or community organizing
- can be an engaging preacher and teacher, able to help both members and non-members, the churched and unchurched, find theological and spiritual meaning in their daily living
- is comfortable working in a non-traditional office setting, where the “office” is our daily prayers in the Cathedral and our work is found outside our walls in the community around us,
- appreciates our musical life
- is experienced in developing “win-win” connections among groups withdiffering opinions
- has a compassionate pastoral presence
- is energetic and takes initiative
- is friendly with a good sense of humor
- is intellectually curious
- embraces our vision and mission
- is a Spanish speaker, or at a minimum will be able to preside in Spanish and have the capacity to learn Spanish quickly
If this vision and profile speaks to you and to your sense of call as priest, please send pdf copies of your cover letter, resume, and OTM materials to
Dean Stephen Carlsen
Christ Church Cathedral
125 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Compensation range for this position is based initially on Diocesan guidelines with the additional benefit of assistance in paying seminary/divinity school debt.
See full job description here: Curate/Assistant Job Description