- This event has passed.
2018 Blandy Lectures and Alumni Convocation
November 8, 2018 - November 17, 2018
Join us for this annual homecoming tradition!
Seminary of the Southwest and the Southwest Alumni Association are honored to welcome Ray Suarez as the featured speaker for the 2018 Blandy Lectures and Alumni Convocation and Homecoming. On the heels of the 2018 midterm elections, award winning journalist and host Suarez will be our featured speaker and will address The Fragmentation of Authority in Contemporary Culture.
Suarez is a respected journalist, most known for his work with Al Jazeera America and PBS NewsHour, and is the current John J. McCloy Visiting Professor of American Studies at Amherst College. Against the backdrop of a rapidly evolving media landscape, Suarez will deliver a candid and authoritative examination of society, politics and the broad impacts of America’s demographic shift to a “minority majority.”
The dates for the convocation are November 8–10, 2018.
Suarez’s lecture on Thursday, November 8 at 7:30 p.m. is free and open to the public. (Registration below)
Alumni Association President the Rev. Eric Hungerford and Blandy Chair the Rev. Kathy Pfister share more details in this video:
This year there will be two timely and provocative continuing education offerings. Descriptions for each offering and schedule can be found here: 2018-Blandy-Lecture-Schedule
Thursday, November 8
Gender and Sexual Orientation in the 21st Century
CEUs offered for clergy, therapists, and chaplains
- Dr. Scott Bader-Saye, Acting Dean and President, Seminary of the Southwest
- The Rev. Sarah Knoll Sweeney, Director of Spiritual Care Education, Seminary of the Southwest
- Sarah Kapostasy, LPC, Clinical and Social Services Director, Out Youth and Transgender Wellness
Friday, November 9
Navigating Difficult Conversations in a Polarized World
CEU’s offered for clergy and chaplains
- Dr. Steven Tomlinson, Associate Professor of Leadership and Formation, Seminary of the Southwest
- The Rev. John Lewis, Director of the Iona Center and Lecturer in New Testament and Spirituality, Seminary of the Southwest
- The Rev. Jane Patterson, Associate Professor of New Testament and Director of Community Care, Seminary of the Southwest
Alongside thoughtful programing, Blandy also offers alumni, students, faculty, and friends of the seminary an opportunity to reconnect through worship, fun, and fellowship. Attendees are invited to an outdoor Friday supper with live entertainment featuring Akina Adderley and the Vintage Playboys and to cheer on the ThuriBulls Saturday morning at the annual Polity Bowl. Join us!
For more information, please contact Katherine Bailey Brown, director of annual giving and alumni relations, at [email protected] or 512.472.4133 ext. 333.