« Back to main blog page
Things You Think While Traversing Austin On FootBy Dan Joslyn-Siemiatkoski
It has been a pleasure to read all the various blog posts welcoming me to Southwest and offering advice on how to deal with the summer heat. As a former doctoral student noted, it really is a very warm and hospitable welcome that I think speaks well of Southwest’s core values.
Given that at the moment we are currently a one-car family, I have been taking the bus to work from where we live in Brentwood. No matter which route I take, I generally have to walk just under a mile either on the way to the school or back home. This has given me a lot of time to walk in the Texas heat. And as it happens when one walks, the mind tends to wander. Here I offer a Top Ten list of random thoughts about transitioning from cool, foggy summers of Berkeley to the blast furnace that is Austin.
10. The bus drivers on routes 3 and 5 really are friendly. A driver has never offered me Chiclets before I moved to Austin.
9. Where the heck did all the sidewalks go? This asphalt is hot!
8. I never knew before moving to Austin that when it hits triple digits the type size for the temperature on my phone shrinks by 50%.
7. People sure do take their tacos seriously in Austin.
6. I wonder where can I get a decent cup of coffee?
5. The cockroaches here are “Texas size.”
4. Then again, my last name is also “Texas size.” Thanks for the double-wide faculty parking sign, Tigh!
3. My family will never forgive me for that car-baked lasagna I served. Note to self: Never listen to Steve Bishop.
2. It is going to be too hot to wear my tweed. Hello, seersucker!
1. I’m sure it will cool down in September.
Dr. Joslyn-Siemiatkoski (@danjoslynsiem) joined the seminary faculty in Fall 2014 following his tenure since 2005 on the faculty at Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, California. His areas of interest include Jewish-Christian history, the history of Anglican ecclesiology, and contemporary interfaith dialogue.
Advent Meditations and Prayers 2014
advent meditations and prayers 2015
Advent Meditations and Prayers 2016
Advent Meditations and Prayers 2017
Advent Meditations and Prayers 2018
Cynthia Briggs Kittredge
Friday Fun Photo
John Hines Day
Mary Balfour Van Zandt
Seminary of the Southwest
Seminary of the Southwest Dean and President
Staying Cool in Austin
Tweet of the Day
Twelve Days of Christmas